Triumph TR6 rough running

Post your technical queries / problems here!

Triumph TR6 rough running

Postby Ian » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:30 pm

Hi there, looking for some advice. 1971 Triumph TR6 PI which starts and runs great but splutters under acceleration. Take the car for a run and the splutter clears but leave it standing and ticking over again and the splutter returns. The car has had new plugs (NGK BP6ES), points, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, condenser, reconditioned injectors (tested and all spraying conical mists of fuel effectively) timing has been set using a strobe and a compression test done with good even pressures across all 6 cylinders. I'm guessing that this could be a fuel / air mix issue given that it clears on a run?
Would it be worth swapping out the NGK plugs in favor of Champion N9Y's?
Strive for perfection in everything you do
Ian

Re: Triumph TR6 rough running

Postby tineca » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:32 pm

Hi

Could try a second hand dizzy in case the weights are not working properly on tick over. also i would change the coil. change the low tensions wires too. also look at the fuel pump, could be so worn that does not pump properly on tick over if its mechanical,

Cheers

Jed
tineca

Postby tineca » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:36 pm

Hi Is it a mechanical fuel pump? Could be so worn that it only pumps well when revved. also, check inlet manifold gasket, lt wires, change coil

thanks

Jed
tineca

Postby Ian » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:41 pm

Its an electric fuel pump. Could check the inlet gaskets by spraying a bit of WD40 round the joints and seeing if the revs increase I guess?
Ian

Postby tineca » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:03 pm

yes you could try that and see. otherwise it could be the PI system but in the dark on these. it does sound more petrol related them electrical i have coil problems in the past though so always change them first.
tineca

Postby Wicksy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:40 pm

Firstly let me say I've no specific experience of your engine but generally your snag is pretty standard stuff. That is, poor fueling under load or ignition breaking down also under load.
You have replaced the ignition components that are most likely to give problems and the fuel system seems healthy except maybe low fuel pressure.
My thougtsh on fuel are: check or replace the fuel filter, check the tank vent and check the fuel pressure. On ignition, rotor arms and condensor quality seem to be very suspect these days so I wold make sure your replacements are kosher.
Lastly I and a few other members of our car club have experienced very similar symptoms on 6 cylinder engines and sorted it by "going electronic" The modern hall effect systems are now very cheap, easy to fit and unobtrusive. CC did a piece on the Autosparks system and recomeded it, mine is a similar system bought on the internet and all I can say is that it transformed the engine perfomance :D
Wicksy

Postby Luxobarge » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:23 am

Wicksy makes a good point - where did you get your ignition components from? The vast majority of Lucas ignition components on the market at present are absolute rubbish - there's a lot on this forum about this problem, they are cheap Chinese items and are largely not fit for purpose. Unless you have used quality items there's every chance that this is the cause of your problem.

I've found the very best place to get the very best quality parts at a reasonable price is here:

http://www.distributordoctor.com/

If you use his stuff you can be reasonably sure that the replacements will have eliminated that component as a fault, whereas if you buy the crap ones (from Rimmers for example) you can be fairly certain that you've actually introduced a problem, not eliminated one.

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.
Luxobarge

Postby Ian » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:12 pm

Think we have sussed the source of the issue. One of the spark plugs keeps fouling up which would suggest either the plug is faulty or the injector is intermittently over-fueling. Is there any other cause for one plug fouling up
Ian

Postby harvey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:56 pm

Ian wrote:Is there any other cause for one plug fouling up

It's getting oil on it.
Currently over 35 years worth of fixing 35 boxes.
Hoping to reach 65 years worth of fixing 65 boxes.
harvey

Postby megadethmaniac » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:26 pm

Oil getting in? With even pressures from a compression test. Sounds odd, surely that would happen accross all the pots?

If one plug is fouling then it suggests either something is being introduced dodgy spray or something electrical. A CT should have ruled out piston wear (wet) and HG or valve issues (dry). Not that valve issues should be that bad when the car is upto operating temp and the valves and guides are nice and hot and oil doesn`t get to be an issue. My Mrs Citreon BX 1.9D (12 odd years ago) smoked like a trooper at startup but 1/2 a mile later, nice and warm was an absolute dream. Oddly enough even very leaky oil seals didn`t cause starting problems with that car, just the annoyance of the neighbours!.

Fuel and electrics would be higgher up on my guess list
megadethmaniac

Next

Return to Technical queries